May 23, 2015

Make up talk: May favorites.

Photos by me.

A new season is just around the corner, which means the perfect time to make some beauty updates is now! (Truth to be told, I feel like my entire appearance is in a need of some serious makeover, but let's take it one step at the time, ok?) When it comes to my make up, I still believe in keeping things simple, natural, dewy and peachy-pink toned. However, with my skin transitioning from dry/sensitive to normal/combination and with my T-zone becoming more oily than usual, I have focused on couple of products that should keep my complexion smooth and evened out, and the make up heat-resistant and long lasting. So scroll down to see my current favorite primers, foundations, blushes, eyes and lips products; some recently purchased and some re-discovered in my own make up stash.


Starting with Bourjois Lip pencil in 11 Enjoleuse, pink-mauve a.k.a. "my lips but better" color, that I use to contour my lips, apply it all over my lips as a base for a lipstick/lipgloss or just leave it on its own. Because it is enriched with mineral and plant pigments not only does it glides and blends easily, it gives a silky and long lasting finish on my lips.

NYX Butter Gloss in Crème Brulee. I'm not the sweet tooth person, but this is the kind of dessert I'll always be craving for! NYX Butter Glosses have dessert related names, smell and taste like the sweetest cakes and feel incredibly buttery soft on your lips. When it comes to colors and coverage they bring all the natural shades and provide a creamy to medium coverage and zero stickiness. I only went for Crème Brulee as a pinky everyday nude shade that can be worn alone or over a lipstick; but I'm pretty sure I'll be coming back to the dessert shop the NYX Butter Gloss counter for more sweets glosses. Eclair, Apple Strudle, Cupcake? Yes, please!

From gloss to matte, Aura Final Matte Lipstick to be precise. I have always been avoiding anything matte for my lips, but I just might be converted all thanks to this product. Its formulation and texture is velvety and creamy enough to glide on my lips leaving them soft and smooth, and the intense pigmentation manages to give the full color intensity and opaqueness. Because of my love for peachy pink, 708 Naive Peach was the perfect color choice and such a flattering one on my skin tone.

And when it comes to my eyelids, I have been keeping things as simple as possible with NYX Infinite Shadow Sticks. These creamy, pigmented and long-lasting pencils can be used as a base, eye pencil and eyeshadow. I just apply them all over my lid after using my NYX eyeshadow primer, and simply blend them out with my finger. So quick, easy and smudgeproof! I switch between the golden nude "Silk" and the light-medium rosy champagne "Flushed". Both have metallic finish that perfectly brightens up my eyes.


Primers are a staple in my make up routine all year around and, depending on the season, they range from the radiance boosting to mattifying ones. Right now my skin is in a perfect medium, and everything I need from a primer is to simply smooths, brightens and evens it out. So I have two options: lightweight, fresh and water-based Aura Prime Me! and NYX Studio Perfect Photo Loving Primer in 01 Clear meant to cover fine lines and large pores.

Next step is a concealer: I wasn't able to re-stock on my all time favorite Maybelline Fit me, but Aura Correct Me! Concealer has pleasantly surprised me with the rich creamy formula and the ability to easily blend on the skin, hide the blemishes and other imperfections, without looking cakey or unnatural.

Also, I think I've found the perfect powder product to deal with my combination skin for the upcoming summer months - NYX Twin Cake Powder in shade "Natural". I used to stay away from powders, but this finely milled, smooth and creamy texture made my complexion thanking me for stepping out of my comfort zone for once. How can I not love its versatility and ability to achieve both velvety and matte finish? For an everyday lightweight look where I only apply some concealer, I lightly dust this powder all over my face and watch how it manages to even out my skin tone and blur out my pores. It does have a light coverage, but it is also quite buildable. And when I wear a heavier make up and focus on my T-zone, I apply it over my liquid foundation and get a perfect semi-matte finish.

NYX Mineral Stick Foundation is my favorite option for - contouring! Yes, you've read that right! I have the darkest shade which is 09 Caramel and apply it directly from the stick to the certain areas of my face - under the cheekbones, under my chin or on the corners of my forehead. At first it feels a bit oily and thick, but the more I blend it with my brush the more creamy and smooth it becomes. And leaves just the right contouring with no tell tale transition lines.

All the effort with the make up doesn't count if there is not a product (a spray to be more precised) to set it and make it long lasting - especially during the hotter temperatures. MAC Prep And Prime Fix+ is probably the best setting spray on the market and it is my HG product too; but since I love having options I wanted to give Aura Fix Me! a try too. It has a fine dispersion, makes an even application, forms a thin invisible film and sets the make up nicely. The only downside of the product is the alcohol scent that is almost too strong and overwhelming upon application, but luckily it disappears in about five seconds.


Last but not least, something for the cheeks. The creamy texture of Deborah Milano blush has been making wonders for my dry and dull cheeks over the winter and still I can't get over the wonderful peachy pink color of the shade 01 Apricot and its pigmentation. A little does go a long way and just the smallest amount is enough for me to blend it with my fingertips and get an instant warmth and radiance to my face.

I also seem to love the NYX Born To Glow Liquid Illuminator just as much as I did last summer when I first discovered it. The pale pink pearl shade of the "Sunbean" goes so well with my light pink-undertoned skin and perfectly enhances the certain points on my face such as cheekbones, bridge of my nose and cupid's bow. In the case of the highlighters less is always more, so a few dabs are enough to achieve an illuminating look without any grease or shine.

And look like the illuminating look is what I'm all about lately because I couldn't resist picking up a set of two powder highlighters as well: Aura Glorious Cheeks in beige-taupe 219 Golden Spice and the peachy-pink 218 Nude Shimmer.

As always, I would love to read your comments and your current make up favorites in the comment section below!
Hope you are having a nice weekend!

SHOP MY CURRENT FAVORITE NYX PRODUCTS:



___________________________________________________________________________

   Get the latest updates on  BLOGLOVIN' & FACEBOOK.