It is said that the future can sometimes be found in the past, and when it comes to the fashion trends that saying seems to be fundamental! The trend I'm discussing today dates from no more nor less but two millenniums ago, and is inspired and named after the essential footwear of the ancient soldiers. But you don't have to channel your inner armed warrior of The Roman Republic to wear the gladiator-style sandals. A maxi dress or a simple t-shirt and denim shorts combo is all you need to pair this shoes with and look trendy and on point. Gladiator sandals have been dominating the Spring 2015 runways, the Coachella music festival and, of course, the street style.
I gave you a hint of my love for these statement sandals in my recent wishlist (here) but I have to be perfectly honest and say that never before have I thought I would be able to pull them off. Let's face it - you either love them or hate them, there is no in between. The gladiator sandals are such a powerful sartorial statement and, just like it is the case with any other statement piece, they can either make or break the outfit. So here are couple of notes on how to successfully style them:
- Basically, gladiator sandals are a reinvented and more dramatic version of the flat strappy sandals, an open-toed shoe that feature multiple straps of leather crossing around the leg.
- They come in as many designes and textures as their basic version. Just take a look at the runways - Valentino's gladiator sandals are with the zip-up details, Roland Mouret's are multi-strapped caged ones encompassing the compo of different shades; meanwhile Chloe made sure to stay on the feminine and chic side with the wedge heels and knee high strap ties. Rest assured that all the similar styles can be found in almost every single high street brand or an online store.
- An eye catching piece like this is perfect for transforming your basics and make a plain dress, shorts and a t-shirt instantly look cool.
- For a comfy but trendy style, opt for the flat design and pair it with flirty summer dresses, off the shoulder blouses, cropped tops, spring blazer and some boho-chic inspired accessories such as fringe bags, fedora hats, stacked bracelets or layered necklaces.
- For more daring and evening appropriate looks pick the heels version of the high-gladiator sandals. And go for silky shorts, statement clutches, short cocktail dresses or even maxi skirts and dresses. But make sure to have a high slit on your maxi dress/skirt so you give that sneaky peak at the sandals as you walk.
Are gladiator sandals the spring/summer trend you would consider wearing yourself? What type would you go for - the simple
laced up version or the fierce warrior like ones? Let me know your thoughts in the comment section below!
I know I made up my mind already; my favorite pair of gladiator sandals is on its way to me as you are reading this.
SHOP THE GLADIATOR SANDALS TREND: