June 27, 2014

The summer edit: make up.

Photos by me.

New season always means new make up. You have to adjust your make up routine and the choice of products to the weather changes as well as the changes your skin is going through on its own: it gets more tanned and instantly looks evened out and better, but at the same time its more prone to oils and shine. There are already couple of new products which are taking over my make up drawers and which I'm sharing with you today, but more are still to be purchased.



NYX Butt Naked Eyes Palette. Palettes are not something I go for because I know that, despite my best intentions, I only end up using 20% of their content (unless it's Urban Decay Naked Basics one which is by now completely used up). But my upcoming travels made me realized I will be needing some multi-functional and compact products that will create both day time and night time appropriate looks. And this NYX kit looked like it ticks all the right boxes by offering 15 eyeshadows, 4 rosy blushes, 2 cheek illuminators and one defining bronzer.  

Eyeshadows range from full mate, near matte to shimmery; and are all cool toned which I think will work on lot of skin tones besides mine. It seems to me that most of shades work better for a night look that a daytime wear, but I don't mind as they are all great quality and very pigmented. Blushes are my favorite part of this kit, especially the two pink ones in the middle. Highlighters come in candlelight glow and a golden peach, and I think both will look better on me when my face gets more tan later this summer. Bronzer is working great for contouring as it is matte and a bit too dark to be worn all over my face. All in all, this palette has a lot of potential not only for the summertime but actually for all seasons, and I look forward to seeing how the two us will be getting along.



Avon Magix Face Perfector. Primers are a staple in my make up routine all year long: in winter my skin gets a bit dry and dull so I need a primer that helps it look radiant and prevents my foundation from looking flakey; and during summer months when my skin tends to get a little oily - any mattifying primer that will make my foundation heat-resistant is more than welcome. Avon Magix proved to be the right choice as it leaves my skin shine free and fresh looking. It has a light, lotion-like and colorless formula that glides effortlessly on my skin. It reduces pores and evens out my complexion, and due the fact it has SPF20, it can be worn alone when I'm having a good skin day.

NYX Born To Glow Liquid Illuminator. Although NYX palette (shown above) comes with a set of two powder highlighters, I've found the liquid formulas work better on my skin. The "Sunbean" is the pale pink pearl shade among the two available, and it goes perfectly with my light skin with pink undertones. I mostly use it to enhance the certain points on my face such as cheekbones, bridge of my nose and cupid's bow; but sometimes I mix it with my foundation to conceal and even out my under eye area. When it comes to applying it, a little goes a long way and a a few dabs are enough to achieve a perfect illuminating look without any grease or shine.


Bourjois Velvet Lipgloss in 06 Pink Pong. A color that brightens up my face and my mood. It is quite out of my comfort zone and "my lips but better" shades of lipstick and lipgloss I usually go for. But my face and hair color actually love a pop of color, especially during the summer months. And if I go for brights I try to avoid anything too glossy or shimmery, and opt for matte and velvet finish instead. The Bourjois Velvet Collection offers liquid formulas that feel and apply like a lipgloss, but have the same appeal and the intensity of a lipstick. Layering them is very easy and once they dry down they offer a full matte effect and a long lasting power.

 What are your make up staples for this summer - I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!
And in case you would like to try some of my favorites, shop them here:




Follow my blog on Bloglovin', Facebook & Instagram.